7 mins read; Research Time: 96 hours
Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a progressive neurological ailment that can easily affect your central nervous system. If any of your close ones are suffering from MS, then using CBD for Multiple Sclerosis may prove to be useful for you.
Then let us understand in depth about this health issue.
- 1.1 Different Types of Multiple Sclerosis
- 1.2 Signs and symptoms of this Multiple Sclerosis
- 1.3 Possible causes of Multiple Sclerosis
- 1.4 Risk factor in relation with multiple sclerosis
- 3.1 Relation between CBD and MS
- 3.2 How Cannabidiol is helpful in Multiple Sclerosis
- 3.3 Researchers study on CBD for MS
- 3.4 The Legality of CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis
- 3.5 Consumption of CBD for MS Patients
- 3.6 Dosage of CBD for Multiple Sclerosis
- 3.7 Side effects of CBD for Multiple Sclerosis
Know what Multiple Sclerosis is
MS is a chronic and autoimmune disease, which affects the spinal cord and brain. When the person starts suffering from this disorder, the myelin that is to provide coats to the nerve fiber starts damaging. Due to which the nerve will start losing the ability to transmit the electrical signals.
The brain will lose coordination with muscles and the patient starts experiencing pain, weakness, and tingling.
After knowing what MS is, it’s time to know the types, symptoms, and causes of this medical condition.
Different Types of Multiple Sclerosis
- Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (PPMS): In this kind of MS, the symptoms get worse progressively devoid of any prior notice or warning.
- Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (SPMS): This type of MS steadily starts progressing after certain symptoms.
- Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS): In this, the symptoms last for a minimum of 24 hours.
- Relapse-remitting Multiple Sclerosis (RRMS): This tends to be a common type which affects around 85% of the people with MS.
Signs and symptoms of this Multiple Sclerosis
The signs may vary widely and depends on the amount of damage in the nerve. People suffering from severe MS may lose the ability to walk without any support.
The signs that affect the movement in the body like:
- Feeling numbness on one side of the body.
- Eclectic-shock sensations that happen in the neck region, especially while bending the neck.
- Sudden tremor and lack of coordination in the body.
The signs in relation to the vision are:
- Partial or complete blindness during the movement in the eye.
- Double vision
- Blurry vision
Few general symptoms are:
- Pain in the body
- A Problem in sexual activity
- Low speech
Possible causes of Multiple Sclerosis
MS will affect different people differently. But the exact causes are still unclear. However, as per the scientist, there are four possible factors that can play a major role in developing this disorder.
There four possible causes are:
- Immune system: This disorder will affect the immune system, which will, in turn, affect the Central nervous system.
- Genetics: The development of MS is higher if any of your family members are suffering from this ailment.
- Environment: The environment plays a major role in developing this disorder. People who have less exposure to sunlight are likely to develop MS.
- Infection: Bacteria and viruses can cause MS. These infections can cause inflammation and breakdown of myelin.
A Risk factor in relation to multiple sclerosis
There are certain factors that play a chief role in increasing the risk of developing multiple sclerosis. Few of them are here:
Age: This disorder can affect people of any age group, but especially affect between the age of 16 and 55.
Sex: Women are more likely to develop this disorder.
Family history: If any of your parents or family members have had MS, then your chances of developing MS are high.
Climate: MS is a common disease in places like Canada, North United States, New Zealand, and Europe.
Vitamin D: People who have less exposure to vitamin D has a high risk of getting MS.
Autoimmune disease: People suffering from thyroid, type1 diabetes has a slightly high risk of developing MS.
Smoking: Regular smokers have a higher risk of developing this disorder than non-smokers.
Treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
There is presently no cure available for MS, but there are treatments that can reduce the severity of this ailment. There is various way available to relieve symptoms like alternative therapies, home remedies, and natural supplements.
In this article, we will explain each treatment that is available. Hope you choose the best one.
Few of the prescribed drugs are below:
- interferon beta 1-a (Avonex and Rebif)
- peginterferon beta-1a) (Plegridy)
- fingolimod (Gilenya)
- mayzent (siponimod)
- ocrelizumab (Ocrevus)
The doctor will monitor the effects of the drug as it may sometime cause some adverse effects on the body.
Complementary therapies to lessen MS
There are few things that may help in treating the different aspects of multiple sclerosis such as:
- Massage and heat therapy for pain
- Acupuncture is for alleviating the pain
- Management of stress to boost the mood
- Regular exercise may help in maintaining the strength and flexibility
- Avoiding or quitting smoking
Some of the simple changes in the lifestyle may provide relief from the painful symptoms of this disease.
A Healthy diet for persons with MS
When a person has MS, dietary factors may have some impacts on the body. There are certain foods that may benefit people with MS, which may result in fewer relapses, lower the risk of complications and, improve the quality of life.
- Probiotic: It is a food that can help in boosting the level of beneficial bacteria and strengthen the immune system. For e.g., Yogurt, a fermented tea, kefir, etc.
- Prebiotic: Food products like garlic, onions, artichokes, chicory may help to increase the fiber content in the body.
- Fiber: Fiber contents are more in plant-based foods like fruits, vegetables, brown rice, nuts, and seeds.
- Vitamin D: Food that is rich in vitamin-D may help in making your bone strong and healthy. For e.g., oily fish, beef liver, egg yolks, orange, etc.
- Biotin: Biotin is a good source of vitamin B that may provide relief for the people suffering from MS. For e.g. eggs, beef liver, almonds, spinach, broccoli, wheat bread, etc.
Natural supplement for Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple Sclerosis is a progressive disease that has no cure. If you or any of your close one is experiencing the symptoms, then taking the right treatment at the beginning stage becomes important.
And nowadays, there are a number of treatment options available, but if you want to manage it with the natural approach, then CBD may be a sensible option for you.
Do not confuse medical marijuana with CBD. Medical marijuana is a weed that contains high strains of THC. However, it becomes essential to know what CBD is and how it can be helpful for this disorder.
The Relation between CBD and MS
The Cannabis plant contains around 120 natural cannabinoids compound, out of which the most popular are THC & Cannabidiol CBD. Both of them are famous for their therapeutic potential.
Thinking why? Let us understand this deeply.
The endocannabinoid system present in the body is for establishing the network between the organs and receptors present in the body, which includes tissues, brain, and other organs. The cannabinoid receptors are present in all over the body and are capable of controlling the muscles movement, nervous system, immunity and, much more.
The ECS system consists of two categories of receptors CB1 and CB2. CB1 is for controlling the central nervous system, and CB2 receptors are for movements. CBD does not bind with these receptors but helps in controlling the function of them.
This system is highly responsive to the conditions of multiple sclerosis such as loss of motor control, inflammation and pain, and stress stimulants.
How Cannabidiol is helpful in Multiple Sclerosis?
There is an increase in the treatment options for multiple sclerosis. However, there is no medication that can provide a complete cure; it may just help in slowing down the progression of the MS.
In this article, we will focus on How CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis directly helps in treating the symptoms of multiple sclerosis.
- It may help in reducing muscle spasms and pain in MS patients.
- The properties of cannabidiol that may help in reducing the inflammation and fatigue feeling.
- It may help in dealing with depression and spasticity.
- The reduction in all these health issues, help in improving mobility.
- This natural compound may help in controlling the uneasiness that occurs in the abdomen
- It may work as an anti-inflammatory drug and provide relieve from the pain and stress.
Researchers study on CBD for MS
Scholars studied the pharmaceutical effects of CBD oils that help in reducing the in MS symptoms and considered to be safe to use the supplement.
They started their experiment with a drug such as Sativex, oil that contains a 1:1 ratio of CBD and THC. It helps in alleviating the neuropathic pain, spasticity, and other general symptoms of MS.
This experiment happened with several hundred MS patients, who were under treatment and used for one year. As per them, in the first month itself, 70 percent of patients reported a 20 percent progress in their spasticity and around 28 percent of patients experienced the progress of 30 percent.
The legality of CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis
By now, you must get an idea about why CBD is wildly popular. But, it’s time to know the confusion behind the legality of the CBD.
The legality issue may vary depending on the place you live and the THC content in it. The farm bill of 2018 brought changes in the legality. As per the bill, the industrial hemp- derived CBD products are legal because it contains less than 0.3 % of THC.
Dosage of CBD for Multiple Sclerosis
Note: In the content available in the article are solely for providing information and it does not constitute to provide any medical advice diagnosis or treatment.
There is no source available to conclude the standard CBD dosage to treat certain medical conditions. However, it is possible to find the dosage that is right for you.
As it is a new medication it is better to start small. Even, if your pain is severe, it is better to begin small and slowly increase the dosage. As you raise the dosage, it is important to track your progress. Like any other medication, CBD might also take some time to show the effect but the benefit the long runs are worth.
Before shifting to CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis, kindly consult your doctor and know his opinion on it.
Side effects of CBD for Multiple Sclerosis
The Majority of the people using this natural supplement, don’t experience any adverse effects, but when it comes to medication, there is a possibility of experiencing some kind of negative effects.
The possible side effects include:
- Dry mouth
CBD product may also interact with other prescribed medication, but it is better to get medical advice from your doctor or physicians.
Conclusion About CBD for Multiple Sclerosis
Multiple Sclerosis is an ailment that can damage your central nervous system, which may disturb the whole functioning of the body.
It is essential to know the right medication after finding that you are suffering from multiple sclerosis.
From this article, you can get to know about the traditional and home therapies that are available. But apart from these medications, there is another new therapy, namely CBD that may be helpful in treating the symptoms.
If you wanna experience the potential of CBD Oil for Multiple Sclerosis product, then shop from the Goto leaf site. The products available here are 100% natural, pure hemp-derived CBD, nil THC, lab tested.
Start your healthy lifestyle from the Goto leaf!!
** The statements given in this are not from any medical expert. These are strictly based on our researches. The product is not for diagnosing, curing, treating, or preventing any health ailments. Before ingesting it, consulting a doctor would be an excellent decision. **