7 mins read; Research Time: 96 hours
Have a glance at hemp vs sativa to discover how it really differs from each other. Here you will get to know the difference between both the strains of the cannabis family.
But before talking about these two different terms, let us get into the root of these strains.
What is Cannabis?
The other name of cannabis is marijuana. It is a psychoactive drug, which is helpful for numerous medicinal purposes. The plant has various strains such as hemp, sativa, indica, and much more.
The plant consists of various cannabinoids, out of which the two main components of this plant are cannabidiol and tetrahydrocannabinol. Though each cannabinoid has a different molecular structure, it possess different properties.
Cannabis produces various mental and physical effects by creating a high or stoned feeling. This becomes the main reason why it gets into some legal issues. Cannabis is helpful for providing relief from various ailments, as well as for recreational purposes.
Without any more delay, let us get into our main topic.
What is Hemp?
The cannabis plant has varieties of plant species, among which one is hemp. Although cannabis is widely popular as a marijuana (a psychoactive drug), the industrial hemp extracting from the sativa plant won’t produce any psychoactive effect on the body.
To make it simpler to you, we’re adding a sentence – the industrial hemp has a higher concentration of CBD or cannabidiol and very less THC content in it.
This species of plant has a rich history of its usage in various industries. This includes food, beauty, and various other sectors.
These plants are easy to grow. It needs less water than any other plant. It doesn’t require any pesticides and herbicides like other plants. If you use any harmful pesticides to prevent the pests, then it will absorb the toxin and reflect in the dietary products.
That’s why it is believed that growing organic hemp is good. The organic hemp products are not only helpful for the people who use, but is also vital for the environment.
Now, let’s look into some of the products that we can get from the plant directly.
Hemp Products and Types
- Hemp Oil: The other name of hemp oil is hemp seed oil. The extraction of the oil is by cold-pressing the hemp seeds. It is an amazing source of essential nutrients like polyunsaturated fatty acids, proteins, and terpenes. You can add them to your food items such as smoothies, salads, dips, gummy, etc.
- Hemp Seeds: As the name implies, it is the seed of the plant. Seeds are the heart of the hemp plant. They have a high content of insoluble and soluble fiber, as they are rich in GLA and have an equal proportion of omega-3 and omega-6 in it. You can use hemp seeds by adding in your smoothies or blend them into a paste and add in your food items.
- Hemp Protein: The seeds of the plant are helpful for making protein powder. It is a popular protein powder, as it contains 20 amino acids, including the 9 important amino acids. It can be a wonderful supplement for vegans.
If you are not interested in any of these options when it comes to intake hemp products, then there many other options available for you. It includes edibles, creams, capsules, topical, etc. Apart from these, you can even smoke or vape the hemp.
What is Hemp Used for?
Did you know that hemp is helpful in various industries since ancient times? If no, then come, let us discuss some of the common uses of this plant.
Since decades, the roots, seeds, and flower of the plant are useful for different industrial purposes such as:
- Textile and clothing
- Building materials
- Automobile parts
- Weed control
- Cleaning products
And much more.
Next, its common health benefits.
Some of the Common Health Benefits of Hemp Oil
Apart from the other business industries, hemp oil is also beneficial in health sectors.
Here’s the answer.
The hemp oil contains various fatty acids such as omega-3 and omega-6. These acids are helpful in eliminating the signs of aging by improving the condition of heart health.
It such a wonderful product to use as a moisturizer, as the fatty acids have the potential of acting as a natural skin lipid. It is for increasing the elasticity and water retention in the skin. It is also a wonderful product for hair, skin, nails, and helps them to stay strong and healthy for a longer period.
Another special quality of these fatty acids is that it helps in reducing the cholesterol and in boosting up your metabolism, by burning the fat content at a faster pace. It also helps in protecting your nerve cells.
The hemp oil has the content of Gamma linoleic acid, which helps in fighting with serious skin disorders.
Some of the Possible Negative Effects of Hemp
Generally speaking, none of the hemp products will show any adverse effects as long as you are using it appropriately.
However, it is always a good choice to consult with the doctor if you are taking any anticoagulants or having any confusion regarding the drug interactions.
Is hemp illegal?
No, hemp is not illegal to use as per the farm bill of 2018. However, there are certain conditions that come along with it.
The hemp products are legal to use only if it contains a less amount of THC content in it, and the product must be solely hemp-derived. Anything, which contains more than 0.3% THC is still illegal in many states of the United States.
So, before you buy any of the hemp-derived products, make sure that the product is legal in the state where you live.
Does hemp make you high?
Absolutely no, it won’t make you high. The main reason behind this is the less amount of THC in it. THC is a psychoactive component that is responsible for making the user feel high.
But still, before trying any of the hemp products, consult your doctor and determine the appropriate dosage that you need to take.
Now, let us move into our next topic – sativa.
What is Sativa?
Cannabis sativa is a flowering plant that has the remarkable potential of treating various diseases without making you feel high. As the sativa has a high concentration of CBD and less concentration of THC in it.
Sativa is long and tall narrow light green leaves that need more light to grow. It takes a longer time to grow and mature when compared with indica. It tends to have anti-anxiety and anti-depressant properties. It has the potential of increasing the serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter that helps in regulating mood, sleep, and anxiety.
Know Sativa In-Depth
Cannabis sativa is a plant that has properties, which is exactly opposite to the Indica. Not only this, but also the appearance of the plant is exactly opposite to each other.
Now, let us first understand sativa.
Here are a few essential details that you must know about this.
- Origin of the plant: Cannabis sativa can grow in a hot and dry climate. It can easily grow in an area like Africa, Central America, and Southeast Asia.
- Plant description: Sativa plant is around 12 feet tall with thin leaves. They take a longer time to get matured.
- The ratio of CBD to THC: The sativa plant has a high content of CBD and a lower content of THC.
- Common Uses of Sativa: It is helpful in boosting up the energy. It may give a productive and creative feeling.
- When to use: As it is helpful in boosting up the energy, it is better to use them in the daytime.
- Common strains: Three popular sativa is Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, and Durban Poison.
After knowing about the appearance and other important things about sativa, let’s move on to the medical benefits that we can receive from this.
What is the Difference between Sativa and Indica?
People generally get confused with the terms sativa and indica. Therfore, it is necessary to get a clear idea about both the topic.
The real difference between Cannabis sativa and Cannabis indica is the cultivation cycle and its properties. Indica plant grows small in size, have strong stems, and dark green leaves. They have a short flowering period. It has properties similar to the marijuana plant.
Whereas, the sativa plants are tall, have thin stem, with light-green leaves that have a long flowering period. It grows better in the hot climate.
After its appearance, let us discuss the different properties that they possess.
Indica has a high content of THC, and help in giving you a relaxed and calm feeling, whereas the sativa plant has a high content of CBD and is popular for its mood-enhancing properties.
Medicinal Benefits of Consuming Sativa
Medicine that comes from the cannabis sativa plants has a high content of CBD and less amount of THC. Moreover, that’s the reason why sativa is popular for giving uplifting feeling and thus, enhance your mood.
The major qualities of consuming sativa strains are:
- Chronic pain and inflammation
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Improve the appetite
- Treat symptoms of Cancer
- Increase mental health
- Muscle relaxation
- Relief from nausea and vomiting
Sativa plant is a powerful combination of therapeutic compounds. This is what makes the plant a popular natural treatment option. It has the potential to reduce the symptoms of the various disorders effectively.
Some Common Side-effects and Risks
Although cannabis strains have a bunch of benefits, there is a chance that it can produce some mild side effects.
Those side effects are as follows:
- Dry mouth
- Dry eyes
- High heart rate
The side effects also depend on the ingesting method. For example, if a person with respiratory problems tries to inhale the cannabis sativa, then may lead to other health problems.
What are the Factors to Consider before Choosing Your Right Product?
Are you interested in trying cannabis products? If yes, then, there are a few important things that you must consider before choosing the right product.
Let us take a look at them one by one.
- Know your target problem: Before choosing the product, know what your health problem is first. This will help you choose the right product.
- How much you can tolerate: Before consuming any of the cannabis products, know exactly how much you can tolerate. Strains that have a high amount of cannabinoids can give you a strong effect. To avoid this, always prefer a low dosage first.
- Consider your medical history: Before you try consuming any of the cannabis products, you must talk to your doctor to know the possible drug interaction problems. This is because these products may cause side effects if any other medicine is taken along with this.
- Ingestion method: If you decide to consume cannabis products, then you must choose the right consuming method. This will aid you to completely enjoy the benefits of these products.
To make you more clear about our main topics at a single glance, here we are representing a comparison between them in a tabular format.
Take a Closer Look on the Comparison between Hemp vs. Sativa
|1. Hemp is one of the members of the cannabis sativa family.||1. Sativa is one of the three main strains of the cannabis plant.|
|2. It is helpful in making fiber and textile products.||2. Benefits are popular in giving a sedative effect for relaxation.|
|3. Hemp seeds can be safe and may not produce any major side effects.||3. Common side effects of this are dry mouth, high heart rate.|
Closure Idea on Both Hemp and Sativa
Now, that you’re armed with the complete information on both the topic. We hope you would have got enough knowledge you need about both the terms, in order to pick the right one for you or for your loved ones.
However, if you need any further clarification on hemp and sativa, then do not hesitate to make the call.
**The statements given in this are not from any medical expert. These are strictly based on our researches. The product is not for diagnosing, curing, treating, or preventing any health ailments. Before ingesting it, consulting a doctor would be an excellent decision. **